The location of the New Virgin Forest
The new forest is located on the southern slopes of the Ještěd ridge, 800 m from the cottage Pláně pod Ještědem. You can recognize the borders of the New Forest by the sturdy fence, behind which there are high-grown spruces. You can get inside by climbing the ladder over the fence.
How to get to the New Virgin forest
Whether you are driving a car or walking, you need to get to the cottage Pláně pod Ještědem:
- I’m going to the New Virgin Forest for an event with Čmelák: the meeting point is in front of the cottage in Plány pod Ještědem
- I’m going to the New Virgin forest on my own: follow the blue tourist sign from the cottage Pláně in the direction of Javorník. After 800 m, a nature trail begins on the right, which will take you through the main part of the New Virgin Forest. The trail is about half a kilometer long. It connects the blue and green tourist signs from Planě pod Ještědem, so it can be easily accomplished as a round trip. In that case, about three kilometers are awaiting you and the journey will take you at least an hour. We recommend completing the circuit in the direction of the signs, to avoid steep climbs.
More about the nature trail. .
Description of the way to the cottage in Pláně pod Ještědem
- On foot from Liberec: follow the red tourist sign to Pláně pod Ještědem from the last stop of tram no. 3 “Horní Hanychov” (there is also a parking lot). The route is 3.5 km long and leads uphill through a forest. It is the most physically demanding one.
- On foot from Liberec by cable car: from thelast stop of tram no. 3 “Horní Hanychov” on foot 10-15 minutes to the lower cable car station, where there is a parking lot available. Then take the cable car to Ještěd and from there 2.5 km on foot along the road marked by red tourist sign to Pláně. The route leads along the Ještěd ridge; when the weather is nice, there is a beautiful view of Liberec. The route is not difficult for tourists. We recommend that you find out in advance the timetable of the ČD cable car, line number 900. jízdní řád ČD kabinové lanovky, trať číslo 900.
- On foot from Liberec by chairlift: from the last stop of tram no. 3 “Horní Hanychov” (there is also a parking lot) on foot 5 minutes to the lower station of the chairlift Skalka. Take the chairlift to the Ještěd ridge (Skalka) and from there 500 m downhill along the red sign route to Pláně. We recommend that you find out the timetable of the Skalka chairlift in advance. jízdní řád sedačkové lanovky Skalka.
Note: You can also transport your bicycle on both the cable car to Ještěd and the Skalka chairlift. The path along the Ještěd ridge is also an excellent cycle path.
- On foot from Pilínkov: from the Pilínkov railway station, follow the blue tourist sign through the Hluboká village uphill – approx. 3 km
- On foot from Světlá pod Ještědem: from Světlá pod Ještědem follow the green tourist sign along the Karolina Světlá path- approx. 2 km.
- By car from the north of Liberec: from Horní Hanychov(in Liberec) uphill to the Výpřež saddle, where you go past the car park. Continue along the road, now descending to the forest junction Semerink 50.7334944N, 14.9609972E (there is a turn to Křižany on the right). You will turn sharply left uphill onto a forest asphalt road, along which you will drive 4 km to Pláně. There is an entry ban on this road, but since you are going to Čmelák’s property, you are allowed to enter.
- By car from the south (eg from Prague): to Světlá pod Ještědem, then follow the road in the direction of Liberec to the forest junction Semerink 50.7334944N, 14.9609972E (on the left turn to Křižany). Turn right uphill onto the forest asphalt road, along which you will drive 4 km to Pláně. There is an entry ban on this road, but since you are going to Čmelák’s property, you are allowed to enter.
Note: Pláně cottage is not accessible by car, according to the car-navigation, the nearest place is the forest junction Semerink 50.7334944N, 14.9609972E, from here along the forest asphalt road uphill to Pláně pod Ještědem. Parking is possible in front of the cottage at Pláně, even a regular bus is able to reach the cottage.